Me

My photo
para-para-paradise
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.” ― Stephen Chbosky
We must not expect happiness. It is not something we deserve. When life goes well, it is a sudden gift; it cannot last forever.

1.15.2010

Encouraging words

Gratitude is thought to be the most healing emotion we possess. Musician Gloria Estefan wrote the hit song “Coming Out of the Dark” as an expression of gratitude to those who supported her following her serious car accident in 1990. She believes that she became stronger through adversity and today is committed to giving back to others. When you take time to extend gratitude to those you love, life can’t help but brighten: your focus will change, and you will feel happier, healthier, and more alive.

After many experiences that have tested me throughout my life, I have come to the conclusion that the purpose of adversity is to teach us and make us stronger. If we are never challenged, we cannot grow spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. I’m even thankful for those who have tried to cause me harm because they taught me patience and compassion. I also firmly believe that “thoughts create reality.” I work very hard to make sure my thoughts are positive and focus on the way I want my life to be rather than simply accepting, on the surface, what appears to be my destiny. The song “Coming Out of the Dark” was written to thank the countless people who loved and supported me through a very difficult time after a bad accident I had in 1990 that left me paralyzed from the waist down. I “felt” people’s prayers as a physical energy surrounding me and used their beautiful intentions in my daily healing process. I truly believe all those incredible vibrations of unconditional love were instrumental in a recovery that my doctors called “no less than miraculous.” I think as we learn more about the incredible healing capabilities that we all possess, miracles will become more and more commonplace.

To me, “Spirit” is the essence of “All” there is. I believe we are each a “fragment” of what most of us call “God.” Because of this, we have boundless possibilities and creativity. I like to think of my spirit as a tree made up of roots, trunk, boughs, and leaves. My spirit is the entire tree, whereas this life that I’m living now may be perhaps only a leaf on that tree, living a completely different reality from all the other parts. By going inward, as in meditation, I try to access the entire memory of the tree in all its collective yet different experiences. I try to connect with the higher self that is more in tune to the “Big Picture.”

I think the beauty of music is that it is a combination of different “vibrations.” Since we are all pure energy, we are touched by music almost as if it goes “through” us. It doesn’t really matter what language the lyrics are in, in order for music to make us “feel” something. My lyrics also touch on subjects that unite us rather than divide. They usually deal with emotions that are prevalent in all our different cultures and races.

Creativity is one of the most rewarding ways to connect with our sense of spirit. My most fulfilling moments have come when another person tells me that my song helped them through a crisis or made them feel happy. I’ve been told on more than one occasion that a certain song I wrote stopped someone from committing suicide or helped them re-establish a bond with a loved one. What more could anyone ask than to affect someone’s life without even having met them? It’s wonderful to know that there are certain things in existence that are here because we are here.

I see the entertainment industry creating something close to “Mass Meditation.” That’s why it’s important that we supervise the violent content that our children are exposed to on a daily basis. These things desensitize us and allow for far more “possibilities” to be acted out. As creative beings, we will create both in the positive and negative spectrums.

I am committed to giving back because it is what fulfills me the most. I am most happy when I can make someone else happy. I try to instill a sense of responsibility in my children as well, so they see how fortunate we are to be able to help others. I think that the more we become aware that we are all collectively creating the “realities” on this earth, the quicker we will be able to affect positive change. If we realize that we are all connected and never alone, regardless of how things might “look” to us, we will feel more responsible for each other’s happiness. I believe we are here not only to enjoy the wonderful and delicious experiences available to us in this physical world, but also to learn love each other unconditionally. After all, what else is there of any real value?

This essay was excerpted with permission from the book Chorus of Wisdom by permission of Ulysses Press and Estefan Enterprises, Inc.

No comments: